Paramilitary South African police counter-insurgency units have been operating in border areas throughout 1978 and have been engaged in a number of clashes with guerillas during which at least three policemen have been injured, several alleged guerillas killed and a number captured. In addition there have been several incidents in the urban areas indicating that guerillas are present and active in the cities.
The large number of political trials reported in FOCUS in the past year show a significant trend away from offences related to alleged recruiting towards prosecutions involving the possession of arms and ammunition.
In May Minister of Police Mr. Kruger told Parliament that there had been 31 incidents of sabotage since 1976, resulting in six deaths and 41 injuries. A total of 91 'trained terrorists' had been arrested and 594 recruiters, recruits and 'collaborators'. Thirty two firearms, 73 grenades, two landmines and 82 kg of explosives had been seized (Debates 12.5.78) In April Brig. Zietsman, chief of security police, claimed that 100 'suspected terrorists' had been captured in the previous ten months and that up to 4000 more were expected to enter South Africa. The infiltration operation was headed by the ANC military wing Umkhonto we Sizwe (MK) (Sunday Tribune 30.4.78; CT 1.5.78; GN 3.6.78; FOCUS 18 p.13)
The counter-insurgency units are operating in the Transvaal and Natal border areas. Described variously as 'crack anti-terrorist' and Task Force and Counter-Insurgency Units, they are rushed by helicopter to areas where suspected guerillas are sighted, and proceed to comb the ground thoroughly, using foot patrols, dogs, spotter planes and roadblocks. Local people are intensively questioned and those without identification are at risk of arrest (RDM 29.11.78) In March it was announced that a 10 km strip is being cleared along 600 kms. of the border by the SADF, for the 'prevention and suppression of terrorism' (BBC 30.3.78).
A number of gun battles between police and guerillas have been reported in the rural areas, recently, as follows: 1 August, North-Western Transvaal: A police unit was engaged in a running battle with a small MK unit in the Zeerust area. One guerilla was captured, later identified as Wilford Marwane and put on trial (see under POLITICAL TRIALS) and two others escaped, despite a massive search mounted by police air-lifted from Pretoria. This contact was later confirmed by an ANC statement from Lusaka. (FOCUS 18 p.13) It was in connection with this case that Dean Molale from Gaborone was questioned by SA police (see FOCUS 19 p.7) 27 October, North-Western Transvaal: A BophuthaTswana police patrol was in contact with a group of three men between Vryburg and Mafeking. Two guerillas were killed, one of whom was found to have a forged passbook for Atteridgeville, Pretoria, and one other escaped. (ST 29.10.78) 30 October, Northern Transvaal: A guerilla group ambushed a police patrol and a farmer near Vivo, injuring a policeman and escaping from an intensive search of the area involving spotter planes, roadblocks and border patrols. (RDM 1/2.11.78, Star 18.11.78) November: police claimed to have captured 23 PAC guerillas entering South Africa. Four more were said to have escaped to Botswana and five to have been arrested in the Transkei, though this was not confirmed by Transkei police (BBC 21.11.78; RDM 21.11.78).
Urban guerilla incidents reported in recent weeks include the following: December, Soweto: A bomb exploded at the chamber of the Community Council (formerly UBC) (RDM 9.12.78). December, Soweto: A suspected guerilla, Kenneth Mkhwanazi, was killed by police at the home of his aunt (see under DETENTIONS) (RDM 11/13.12.78) December, Johannesburg: A bomb exploded at a WRAB beer depot (RDM 12.12.78). December, Eastern Cape: the railway line between Berlin and Fort Jackson was sabotaged with explosives (ST 17.12.78). December, Bloemfontein: grenades were discovered in an African township (CT 27/28.12.78)