Two members of the Soweto Students League (SSL), Douglas DALASILE (25) and Shubi Keith BITJANA (24), appeared in the Johannesburg Regional Court on 29 August on charges under the Terrorism Act.

Dalasile is alleged to have left South Africa between 1977 and April 1979, when he received military training under the ANC in Swaziland. Bitjana, his cousin, is alleged to have recruited him.

The case was remanded to the Kempton Park Circuit Court for 16 October. When they appeared at Kempton Park, police armed with submachine guns were guarding the court. Both men pleaded not guilty. The following day Dalasile applied to change his defence advocate, and after some delay this was allowed.

A member of the security police, Sergeant Petrus Jordaan, told the court of the detention and interrogation of the two men. He said ANC stickers and notes on sabotage were found at Dalasile's home. Questioned by the defence as to whether there was an office on the 10th floor of John Vorster Square security police headquarters known as "Die Waarheid Kamer" (the truth room) with bloodstains, or what looked like bloodstains, on the wall, Sergeant Jordaan denied this. Defence Counsel said Dalasile would tell the court he was taken to this room where he was suspended over two tables with a broomstick and with a wet bag pulled over his head. He would also tell the court that he had been electrically shocked, the defence said. (RDM 30.8.79, 20.10.79; Post 17/18.10.79)

On 23 October Bitjana was sentenced to seven years' imprisonment and Dalasile to five years' after they had been convicted on the charges. (Post 24.10.79)

Six Sebokeng students were each sentenced to five years' imprisonment in the Vereeniging Regional Court on 26 September after being found guilty of sabotage.

The six are Johannes MARUMO (MARUME) (19), Ezekiel SEAKGWA (SEAGAO) (18), Thomas NHLAPO (18), Lazarus LEBOLWANE and TWO UNNAMED JUVENILES. (see FOCUS 24 p.3) The accused gave the clenched fist "power" salute after sentence. After sentence was passed the young men were led to the cells by Security Police, who also took names of some of the spectators who talked to them.

They were convicted of setting fire to the house of a black security policeman. (Post 27.9.79)

Churchill LUVUNO (22), was sentenced to 5 years and 9 months imprisonment in the Bethal Regional Court on 14 August after being convicted under the Terrorism Act and for perjury.

He gave evidence for the defence in the Bethal PAC trial (see FOCUS 23 p.8), and was immediately arrested and charged with perjury. He was then detained, and eventually charged. The state claimed that he left South Africa and underwent military training at the hands of the PAC in Swaziland. It was further claimed that he established a PAC cell in South Africa. He was sentenced to 5 years on the Terrorism Act counts and 9 months on the perjury charge. (WIP Nov 1979)

A 17-year-old UNNAMED YOUTH was sentenced to five years' imprisonment after being convicted under the Terrorism Act at an in camera hearing in the Johannesburg Regional Court, in August.

The State alleged that on April 19 the young man assisted or incited two other people to undergo military training in Botswana. The youth, who is from Soweto, shouted "Amandla!" (power) after he was sentenced. (Post 22.8.79)

Source pages

Page 10

p. 10