The appeal by James MANGE (24) against the death sentence which was imposed after the recent ANC guerilla trial in Pietermaritzburg is due to come before the appeal court during May.

Meanwhile, the campaign to stop Mange's execution has attracted worldwide support; the President of Kenya Mr. Daniel Moi has appealed to the South African authorities to save Mange's life "in the name of humanity... I am motivated only by the love and respect I have for human life which we all regard as precious". Prime Minister P. W. Botha replied to President Moi, saying he should be assured that Mange's appeal would receive President Viljoen's highest considerations.

On 13 February 54 West German parliamentary deputies sent a telegram to Mr. Botha protesting against Mange's death sentence.

Mrs Maphike (45) won her appeal against conviction under the Terrorism Act on 12 December 1979 in Pretoria Supreme Court. She had been sentenced in March 1979 to 5 years for inciting 4 youths to leave the country for military training. She served 9 months of her sentence in Kroonstad prison before being released.

Mrs Maphike, married with five children, was in custody for 12 months altogether, from her detention in December 1978. On her release she said she could not believe her ears when called from her cell and told of the successful appeal. "I had not expected it, although I knew I was innocent. I had already given up", she said. "I am happy now to be reunited with my family". Mrs Maphike is, however, unable to find a job at present.

The appeal against conviction by Harry GWALA, Anton XABA, John NENE, Truman MAGUBANE, Matthews MEYIWA, Azaria NDEBELE, Zakhele MDLALOSE, Joseph NDULI and Cleophas NDHLOVU has been dismissed by the Appeal Court in Bloemfontein.

Source pages

Page 2

p. 2