Only days before the execution on 9 June of the three ANC combatants convicted of high treason, the death sentence was imposed on a man who had appeared as a state witness in their trial.
Following the execution of the three there were meetings and demonstrations throughout South Africa, and elsewhere, expressing widespread sorrow and anger.
In July eleven more people were charged with high treason in the Eastern Cape, apparently in connection with armed actions in the area towards the end of 1982.
Malisela MOLOISE (28) was found guilty in the Pretoria Supreme Court of murdering a security policeman, Warrant Officer Selepe, in November 1982. He was sentenced to death on 6 June. Moloise pleaded not guilty and denied throughout the trial that he had killed Selepe. He said that statements he had made to the police and before a magistrate had been made out of fear. The State alleged that he had shot Selepe as he returned to his home in the township of Mamelodi near Pretoria.
Moloise had been a room-mate of Marcus Motaung, one of the three who were executed. He appeared as a witness for the State in the trial of MOSOLOLI, MOGOERANE and MOTAUNG, but refused to answer questions in court. During the trial, which ended in August 1982, Selepe took Moloise each day from Moloise's home to the court, and back. Selepe was amongst those praised by a judge of the Supreme Court for the part he played in the arrest and conviction of the three ANC combatants.
The hangings of the three guerillas were carried out on 9 June, three days after Moloise's sentencing. Vigils and meetings protesting the hangings were held across South Africa. Sorrow, anger and support for the three and their actions were given clear expression.
On the eve of the hangings all-night vigils were held in several centres, including Durban, Soweto and Cape Town, in each of which hundreds of people took part.
Following the hangings meetings and demonstrations took place. There were meetings of hundreds of people on the campuses of several universities, including Fort Hare, University of the Western Cape and the University of Zululand. At Fort Hare 22 people were arrested and subsequently charged with public violence, after a van was overturned and others stoned.
In Durban 23 people were arrested when about 400 people marched through the city with ANC banners.
As the protests continued to gain momentum, the government issued an order banning meetings about the hangings for a week.
The quoting of statements made by the executed men was made illegal when their names were included in a list of people who may not be quoted, published on 1 July.
A total of 11 people appeared in court in the Eastern Cape during July on charges of high treason and other charges.
The appearance of an unidentified person without legal representation on charges of treason, murder and contravention of the Internal Security Act is reported under DETENTIONS in this issue.
On 25 July 10 men appeared in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on charges of high treason. They were not asked to plead, no evidence was led, and the case was postponed until 5 September.
Their appearance was linked by the press to a series of sabotage incidents in the vicinity of Port Elizabeth towards the end of 1982. During May a total of 13 people were detained in the Port Elizabeth area, allegedly in connection with explosions in the area. The police also said that quantities of arms and explosives had been confiscated.